Hazards of Steam
Steam is one of the most ubiquitous industrial materials used today but it can be a major hazard if it is used with insufficient knowledge of its limitations and dangers.
This course will help you to understand about the properties and hazards of steam & steam condensate and how those hazards can impact people, the environment and assets. It will cover topics such as thermal expansion, stress in equipment, water from steam and in steam lines, and purging with steam. Past incidents involving steam will be examined, so participants can increase their knowledge and apply the lessons learned in their day-to-day roles. There will also be a focus on the variety of equipment where steam is found, as well as dealing with pressure upsets and start-ups and shutdowns, where hazards may be at a greater level.
By the end of this course, you will:
- understand the properties of steam & steam condensate
- understand the hazards of steam & steam condensate
- learn about the ways in which the hazards of steam can lead to harm to people, the environment and assets
- learn from the past and what has gone wrong, and how such failures should be avoided in the future
- increase your knowledge on this topic so that you may apply it in your day-to-day working life
Who is it for?
Front-line operators, maintenance crews, engineers, regulators and managers.
What do you get?
- downloads of all modules (usually an hour each)
- most modules have a FAQ section at the end
- digital copies of slides and supporting materials (PDF)
- e-certificate of attendance, including hours allocation for CPD purposes (on request)
- properties of steam
- steam hazards – harm to people, the environment and assets
- hazards from condensing steam
- thermal expansion
- stress in equipment
- water from steam and in steam lines
- purging with steam
- other hazards of steam
If you have several people you want to train take a look at our multiple-user option - allowing you to purchase the course for up to 10 individual users at a significantly reduced price of £819 + VAT.