Mentoring for Chemical Engineers
Mentoring is a vital activity in chemical engineering, whereby more experienced engineers encourage the professional development of those with less experience. When done well, mentoring has immense benefits for the individuals and their organisations. Unfortunately, when done poorly, mentoring can do damage.
This modular online will help you to become a better mentor, encouraging others to manage their own learning and empowering them by asking and listening, rather by instructing and advising. It has been developed with the specific needs of the chemical engineer in mind.
You will learn how to apply mentoring concepts, approaches and tools with an emphasis on developing your skills as a mentor.
By the end of this course, you will understand:
- the differences between mentoring, managing and coaching
- what makes a good mentor
- why somebody needs a mentor
- the pairing of mentors and mentees
- the responsibilities of mentors and mentees
- how to know if the relationship is working
- the beginning and the end of the mentoring relationship
Who is it for?
Chemical and process engineers looking to develop their skills as a mentor to others. Delegates will likely be new to mentoring or be looking to further develop their skills as a mentor.
What do you get?
- downloads of all modules (usually an hour each)
- most modules have a FAQ section at the end
- digital copies of slides and supporting materials (PDF)
- e-certificate of attendance, including hours allocation for CPD purposes (on request)
- the benefits of mentoring
- mentoring and coaching
- the key components of a mentoring relationship
- the working agreement
- the core skills (empathy, respect, genuineness)
- body language
- introduction to the skilled helper model
- the present picture
- the preferred picture
- the way forward
- mentoring tools
- beginning the mentoring relationship
- ending the mentoring relationship
- potential problems and possible solutions
The modules, each around 60 minutes in length, are effective as stand-alone training sessions or as part of a modular programme.
If you have several people you want to train, take a look at our multiple user option – allowing you to purchase the course for up to 10 individual users at a significantly reduced price of £1,055 + VAT.