Hazards of Air and Oxygen
Air and oxygen are products that can seem harmless, but in certain environments they can prove deadly if used or introduced at the wrong place or time.
This course will help you understand the basic principles for safe use of air and oxygen, within a range of different industries and equipment. You’ll be able to better understand each side of the fire triangle within the process industries, key and common sources of ignition, strategies for the prevention of flammable / explosive atmospheres, trapped residual pressure hazards and the specific hazards when working in oxygen enriched environments.
By the end of this course, you will:
- better understand each side of the fire triangle
- be introduced to fires and explosions (deflagration vs detonation)
- review common sources of ignition which can cause process fires/explosions and how to manage these
- be introduced to strategies for the prevention of flammable/explosive atmospheres
- understand the hazards associated with trapped/residual pressure when working with compressed air
- look specifically at the hazards of working with oxygen and oxygen enriched environments
Who is it for?
Front-line operators, maintenance crews, engineers, regulators and managers.
Renewable energy, food & drink, pharmaceuticals, power generation, water, steel, oil & gas, petrochemicals and refining.
What do you get?
- downloads of all modules (usually an hour each)
- most modules have a FAQ section at the end
- digital copies of slides and supporting materials (PDF)
- e-certificate of attendance, including hours allocation for CPD purposes (on request)
- the chemistry of fire
- ignition Sources
- explosions: deflagrations & detonations
- avoid flammable mixtures
- eliminate oxygen
- trapped pressure hazards
- specific hazards of pure oxygen
- oxygen rich environments
- hazards of medical oxygen
- reactive hazards of oxygen
- contamination of materials handling oxygen
- misdirected flow of oxygen into process systems
- integrity management of oxygen systems
If you have several people you want to train, take a look at our multiple user option – allowing you to purchase the course for up to 10 individual users at a significantly reduced price of £819 + VAT.