Effective Communication for Engineers - Full Series
Communication underpins all engineering activity. Developing our communication skills gives a significant advantage to individuals and to organisations.
This modular online course conveys the fundamental principles of effective communication, and builds on these principles to help engineers optimise their communication in various situations such as email, documents, meetings, and presentations. Techniques will be presented for getting the best out of challenging face-to-face discussions. The course considers the best way to connect with an audience, either in writing or when making a presentation. It has been developed with the specific needs of the chemical engineer in mind.
- the benefits of effective communication
- the difficulties of effective communication
- empathy, listening and body language
- introducing the Shannon and Weaver model of communication
- different communication styles
- knowing your style
- adapting your style to connect with others
- modes of communication
- developing assertive behaviour
- effective meetings
- negotiation skills
- handling and resolving conflict
- giving and receiving feedback
- know your audience
- get your story straight
- connecting through written documents
- connecting through presentations
The modules, each around 60 minutes in length, are effective as stand-alone training sessions or as part of a modular programme.